“Leadership is an aspect of power, but it is also a separate and vital process in itself.” – James MacGregor Burns
Society has done a terrific job and an injustice of conditioning the minds of many leaders to be shallow and superficial. It distorts our thinking and our ability to make decisions. In some sense, it becomes a drug that is killing the future of what great, quality leadership should be.
Unless there is a radical change in our thought process of the way we view leadership, to be for others and not ourselves, leadership will simply fade away.
Here are a few thoughts that we CANNOT allow ourselves to do…
- We cannot simply flow with the societal trends of leadership.
- We cannot elevate our leadership and at the same time not hold to the foundational truths of leadership.
- We cannot promote our leadership by not living out what we say our leadership is.
- We cannot fall victim not acknowledging that leadership requires humility.
- We cannot fail to realize that leadership requires enthusiasm.
- We cannot abandon our desire to want right leadership.
Today’s leadership models promote so much focus on self that we lose sight of serving others. It is self-absorbing. To make matters worse, we buy into it. We accept it as the norm. We allow it to become part of our inner being… ME FIRST!
Our defense against leadership, that is worldly and weakens right influence, relies on distrusting our ego to the point that we must separate the error it causes in our thinking.
Remember… THINK LEADERSHIP!
©2018 J Clay Norton
Follow me on Twitter at TheBookChamber
Subscribe via email to my blog at the top of the page